Monday 20 February 2017

Review: Taxi Driver

Whenever I think of top directors and they're films, its usually Martin Scorsese for Taxi Driver. Its a very I feel an adult film not in that way, just with the violence, swearing and minor flirty sex scenes with Jodie Foster in her first proper role playing a prostitute, Robert DeNiro playing this lonely almost insane Taxi Driver, you can tell this film is not a happy go lucky type of film. 
I think everyone knows this film, but I just wanna talk about it as I love it so much and I think its my favorite Martin Scorsese film. The film is about this man called Travis Bickle played by Robert DeNiro who is discharged marine, he is lonely lives in New York and takes up a job as a Taxi Driver to help him cope with his insomnia. He meets various people during his job, like Betsy who he ends up going on a date with, Iris or 'Easy' the child prostitute played by Jodie Foster, who is trying to escape her pimp Matthew 'Sport' played by Harvey Keitel. 
This film is a hard film to watch, I say that as I actually watched it twice, once when I was about 15 and again a few months ago. The first time I watched it I thought 'yeah okay whatever' and I don't know why I watched it again but I'm glad I did, as I probably watched it wrong the first time, and I know that sounds so bad and I hate it when people say 'oh you didn't watch it right' because how can you watch something wrong? But I guess I was 15 so I didn't understand it as such but now I like it. Which proves that if you don't like something the first time, doesn't mean you'll still feel that way the second time. 
 Jodie Foster was fantastic in this film, I heard many rumours that she had to see a Shrink before she was aloud to be in this film, but regardless if they're true or not. She is such a stand out in this role, she carries it like an actress, a true actress not a child actress and it's fairly obvious from this performance she was gonna be a big star. Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel are both brilliant in this film, I mean they can do no wrong its an iconic film with iconic actors who say the dialogue how it should be said. 

One thing that I love about this film is the costumes, I adore the New York Fashion from the 70's its so casual and yet so dressy and its even trying to hard to look good. The 70's in terms of films were I feel anyway, quite a difficult year to watch, as you will hardly get a silly fun comedy to watch, It was all about the anti-heros and really hard hitting storylines and dialogue that wasn't used that much, like swearing I don't think many writers would put swearing in they're scripts until the 70s and this film does make me think of the 70's in fashion and filmmaking. 
Robert De Niro portrayed a man on what I believe to be an emotional breakdown. He does it so effortlessly its natural, as an audience you get worried for this man's health and well being which is great. I like that with this film its a main character who is internally good but can be a bit crazy especially in the end, its good I feel to have the main being good and also bad, as that can be relatable I guess. Its also nice to watch a character who is unlike anyone and you can't relate at all and you're away from the world and sucked into another world, a world you can't relate to. 
Overall this is such a fantastic film, its 70s I feel through and through. Its Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro and young Jodie Foster. I mean you can't go wrong its just an iconic classic film, that every needs to watch. I will talk to you all on Wednesday for a special post largely focusing on directors and they're classic films. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall