Friday 9 December 2016

Peppermint Friday Review #13: Gummo

This is a weird one, as I had to watch this again because and I know this is gonna sound abit stupid to say but I didn't get it the first time, as if I didn't watch it properly but it was so weird I didn't know what it was about. The film is about....I'm not sure the outline plot on IMDB is 'Lonely residents of a tornado stricken Ohio town wander the deserted landscape trying to fulfill their boring, nihilistic lives.' But this story has a hundred different plots and it doesn't necessarily consist if that makes sense. 
Its like short films, improv scenes and home movies collided into one, there were bits of the film I thought 'thats interesting' not that I liked them but found interesting, but also there were bits that I hated and they were the constant images and scenes of dead cats or cats being shot and chase. That kinda stuff makes me abit uncomfortable because I love cats and animals, and I cannot stand to see animals particularly. I can kinda understand and see how the Director/Writer wanted it to be portrayed as the boys were just bored and wanted something wild to do, or because they were very poor and had bad families, could be anything for the reason, I don't know but that creeped me out. 
The Director/Writer of the film is Harmony Korine who made the recent film Spring Breakers, but other than that I'm not that familiar with his work. But that doesn't mean anything, one thing that I found fascinating was the bunny boy throughout the film, he provided an air of mystery throughout the film, particularly when the boys are shooting him with pretend guns, bunny boy doesn't say anything and thats one of the reasons why he's a mystery of course and the character sets out to be a mystery.
One thing that made me cringed so badly, and just makes me cringe in general was the girl in the end who shaved off her eyebrows and that makes me cringe, and I don't know what it does but I hate it. Anyway I thought she was quite nice, because it felt that she didn't realise herself if that makes sense. She was just really genuine, throughout the film I mean the majority of the characters for me anyway didn't really feel real, they might for you and thats great. I loved the soundtrack of the film, as it was added like lighting is makes the scene.
Put it this way I will never forget this film, as it dented itself into my memory. Not for good reasons not for bad, I mean it did feel like an Indie film, and in some ways it was and it did feel like allot of improv was in the film, and apparently it was. Its very organic this film, and its different and incredibly unique and that is always a good thing, but I didn't like the amount of dead cats there were in the film, but also they were lacking in the wardrobe department for guys, as most of the men in this film were shirtless. Not that thats, bad or good, merely an observation. The cast in the film didn't go on to other things, and it felt that they were real people not actors, apart from Chloe Sevigny, and she was married to Harmony Korine. Anyway this film is weird one, but I included it as the main character is a teenager. But I can reassure you all that next week, will be lighter.
  

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall