Friday 16 December 2016

Peppermint Friday Review #14: Moana

I know I've said that Doctor Strange was the last film I was gonna see for while in the cinema, but this film ahh couldn't resist, its Disney I got my mum to see it with me and she's not too keen on Disney (yes its crazy) and she loved it, and I need to talk about this film. 
The film is about a girl called Moana and she is the daughter of the Chief of the village on the island of Motunui, and she is about to become the next Chief of the island. Until everything on the island is going rotten and there are no fish, Moana decides to seek out of the island and into the ocean to find Maui who is a demigod and has the heart of the island. Her father is very protective and doesn't want Moana to go into the ocean when thats something she wants to do more than anything. 
Its set in the Polynesian island which is something I love because representation is important, I'm not of Polynesian decent, but I love that theres a character from Disney that girls of that decent can relate to, but in any case regardless of skin colour I guess any girls can relate to Moana or Belle, Ariel, Tiana. I love Moana's special power of controlling the ocean, or the ocean being alive like special friend, or something I don't know. The film was made by the same people who made The Princess and The Frog, and they did a marvelous job with the music and the story, and I can see the similarities of Princess and The Frog and Moana, as Maui and Prince Naveen were born from greatness and they meet a girl who is very headstrong, and independent. They need help as they don't necessarily have the power to be great until they get it back.
One of the biggest things I love about Disney is the music, the music for this film fits so well for the film, its all islandy and relaxed but at the same time strong and powerful. I love 'You're Welcome' which is sung by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, which by the way is such a good singer, like you listen to the song and like all Disney songs it will be in your head all day. The characters I love are Moana, and Maui obviously, and Grandma is so funny, and she loves the ocean like Moana, and she comes from the back of the head in a way. The sidekicks Moana has are so funny and unique, Heihei the rooster doesn't really say anything and he makes me laugh, Tamota the crab is just hysterical, Moana's pig is very cute and funny.
I mean I love this film, and I would see it again not in the cinema because I'm not made of money. But I mean I love the soundtrack, and I guess you can listen to the soundtrack without watching the film, but watch the film cus I loved it. The songs in itself are very much storytelling and enjoyment of the characters. Just go watch this film, its so funny and uplifting. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall