Thursday 4 May 2017

Peppermint Friday Review #34: Precious

I'm aware the posts have been abit wishy washy on this blog recently, but I kinda like it and hate it, I love the spontaneity of it all where I've just been watching films that people have told me to watch and I just didn't but now I am. Also I like the theme weeks and I kinda miss that to tell you the truth I'm kinda having 'blogger's block' but its okay, because it will pass. 
The film Precious is about a Claireece Precious Jones played by Gabourey Sidbe, and she is an illiterate overweight, very unhappy 16 year old girl living in 1987 Harlem. She lives with her son, and her mother Mary (played by Mo'Nique) who is unemployed and treats Precious horribly, and blames her for her boyfriend leaving, her boyfriend Precious's dad isn't around, and when he was around Precious was treated even worse by him, he raped her and treated her horrifically again. The film starts with Precious being kicked out of school for being pregnant again, and the dad being Precious's is dad, the school can't cope with her and kick her out and sent her to an alternative school. She finally learns to read and write by her new teacher Blu Rain (played by Paula Patton) she also meets a social worker called Ms Weiss (played by Mariah Carey) and learns about the goings on in Precious's life. 
I remember when this film came out and I dismissed it, and I'm glad I did and I'm annoyed I did at the same time, because the reason I dismissed this film was because I watched the trailer and it looked way too serious and well in my 12-13 year old words was 'boring'. I watch it now and its not the case at all, because trailers can be misleading and just give away the whole film so that's annoying. I'm glad because its such a serious film and has some issues that are so hard core like incest, its not a happy topic for a film. So I'm glad I'm a little bit older to understand the film and really properly like it, because its such a wonderfully written film. I already loved Gabourey Sidbe because she was in American Horror Story and I love that show, and she is such a good actress I love her. Fun fact she had no acting experience prior to this film, and was chosen over 300 people who auditioned for the role so go her. 
The film goes in flashbacks and fantasies of Precious's life and mindset, she imagines that she's this big Hollywood star having photoshoots and red carpet events, just loving life far from what her reality is. I love that because it shows that Precious does have some ambition and doesn't want to be like her mother. It's crazy to me that Mariah Carey is in this film, and doesn't look like herself when I read on IMDB that she was in it I thought 'Okay they've given her a part because the film needed abit of publicity and Mariah can say she's an actress, because she was in a film once' but its not the case at all, she look almost unrecognisable, I thought she'd play a very diva-ish character the persona Mariah puts up because she is an incredible singer, and surprisingly an amazing actress. 
The colours of the film is brilliant, I love how causal they made the 80s look, because usually its massive shoulder pads, bright colours just everywhere, and everyone listening to Cyndi Lauper or Prince. Its very causal and lets the story and character explain for themselves. Mo'Nique is fantastic she played a woman who had such a strong hatred for her daughter so wonderfully. The connection and chemistry between Gabourey and Mo'Nique is just brilliant they acted off each other really well they played a mother a daughter who had such a complicated relationship that they're meant to love each other but it turned into hate and something completely bitter. I love Precious as a character because she starts off being this very insecure girl who's confidence is completely torn by her mother and father. At the end and throughout yeah she doesn't get her dream but she learnt how to read and write and gathered confidence to stand up to her mother. 
Nothing is happy in the end, like theres no fairytale ending but Rome wasn't built in a day. We also learnt something about people, that we are complicated and do crazy stuff and no matter what age you are, you can do anything. Give this film a watch because it is so good and deserved all its awards and nominations it was given, because its such a wonderful story and it's not an easy story and film to watch you should bare that in mind before you watch it, and my only criticism of the film, its not really a criticism but its something you know. With that watch the film for Mariah Carey's brilliant acting performance and obviously Gabourey and Mo'Nique performances and also not to forget the amazing story of a young girl's journey of self confidence and self discovery.

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall