Tuesday 2 May 2017

Review: Allied

Been watching alot of new films recently I say new, like came out last year or in the past 5 years or so. What this film is about is, Max Vatan a Canadian pilot (played by Brad Pitt) and Marianne Beausejour a French Resistance fighter (played by Marion Cotillard) they are both partnered together posing as a married couple, firmly believing they won't have feelings for each other, just business. That obviously goes downhill and end up actually getting married, as time goes on and they have a little girl together. People at Max's work are starting to get suspicious that she's a German Spy. 
I love the costume of the film, that's no surprise really as I love period drama films, and its set in the 1940s and not all about the war, it really relies on the party aspect heavily in this film. It's directed by Robert Zemeckis which really surprised me as I know Robert Zemeckis's work as Back to The Future Franchise, Forrest Gump, Castaway, and I remember his first film I ever watched 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' which was a Beatles fan-fiction come to life, lets face it. I just love that he started doing that and now he's done this beautiful, fairly still, controlled film with beautiful costumes and cinematography. I would not have expected this kinda film from him, I'm used to seeing his Comedy work where things are usually quick paced and going from A to Z. With this film its alot more complicated but still done in an effortless way, where it did make total sense and very original. 
With Brad Pitt, I love him as an Actor he is brilliant in this film he spoke French beautifully and did this card trick and he's just so suave and sophisticated. I don't really know his work that much, I've only properly watched him in three films, Kalifornia, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and Fight Club (which we don't talk about). He's such a versatile Actor he can do anything and I don't know why I haven't watched that many Brad Pitt films, I think maybe its because he's seen as this gorgeous man and that's more important than his acting capability, like the amount of people that go 'Oh Brad Pitt he's lush' rather than go 'Oh Brad Pitt he's a good actor I can't wait to see him in that' but also his private life is discussed an awful lot. Like I don't care who he's dated or divorcing, its about what acting roles he's taking. 
Another thing, I think this film came out around the same time as the Angelina Jolie Divorce Drama. So I guess people didn't care which upsets me, because a thing like that just stops people, and consumes their minds I could be wrong though. Anyway with Marion Cotillard I'm not too familar with again I know who she is, I've seen her in Public Enemies, Inception and I think she was in Dark Knight Rises. Again I know who she is, but when I watch any film I don't go 'I hope this has Marion Cotillard in!' sounds mean but I don't. In this film she was epic, and I don't say that very often but she is so good and I know in France (as she is a French Actress) she's a big deal. I like that they didn't go for a typical beautiful girl, she reminds me very much of a young Katharine Hepburn. 
Some of this film was in French which I really liked and added a sort of Amour essence to the whole film. Whilst watching it though it did remind me of when I tried to read Lolita as that has French in it, and I couldn't understand it at all butt I like listening to it, just don't understand it. Which is my downfall entirely as I wanna know what they're saying, if its juicy or not. The story is very much like Casablanca, and a part of the story was set in Casablanca, but the story was a vintage romance told in a modern way yet still remaining true to its vintage roots of the story. I loved the interior of the houses, the way the air raids were done. The chemistry between the characters was okay, I liked it and think they look gorgeous on screen together, but when I watch them I don't feel the passion. I might be broken, but I've just seen couples with better chemistry doing this kinda period drama before. 
If you're looking for a beautiful vintage romance then watch this film if you're looking for just a war, period drama film with action and excitement (not to say this film isn't exciting) then this film is not for you. But I love this film, it won't be the last of its kind what I mean by that is that this will not be the last of the period drama romance films. It's certainly not the greatest period drama romance, but not the worst. Its definitely worth seeing if you love Robert Zemeckis and wanna see a film that's unlike him (what I used to think, not anymore). Then watch this film, if you like Brad Pitt or Marion Cotillard watch this film! I'm starting to get ridiculous now, anyway I'll see you all later and have a lovely week! 


No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall