Wednesday 11 January 2017

Cagney Vs Bogart

Because this week I've been watching a lot of Cagney films, and Bogart films. They are both charismatic and very talented in there performances and they have appeared in the same films together. I'd like to point out very quickly like I mentioned on my new 'FAQ Page' whenever I do 'Vs' posts its not a case of 'he/she is crap and he/she is the best' its either all, I like them both very much there's just one I like more than the other. That's clear? Let's go!
Both of these gentlemen have played the gangsters and both are very charming and charismatic people. Bogart and Cagney have both appeared in the same films together although these films are on the same genre, where they've mainly played gangsters, who smoke and they're usually from New York like Roaring Twenties, Angels With Dirty Faces. 
With saying that the gangster-smoking New York roles haven't been the only roles they've played although they've done it with charisma and charm, with Cagney he is much less apologetic when it comes to being a gangster and particularly when he's a gangster or villain, in Pubic Enemy I mean we can all remember that scene with him shoving that grapefruit in Mae Clarke's face? But at the same time, you can't stop watching him.
Bogart was seen as to me anyway, much less harsher but he is still seen as a tough, quiet and straight talking guy. Because his acting is much less show-offy not that Cagney shows off, but when Bogart acts he doesn't have to shove a grapefruit in a girl's face, its all in the eyes, kinda like the silent treatment in a way. But Bogart was still stern and charismatic, the similarities were Bogart was bought up in New York and so was Cagney so both of them knew about being in New York and you have to stand on your own.
Although both have played light hearted characters, Cagney was an amazing tap dancer and singer, just watch Yankee Doddle Dandy or Footlight Parade. Even in all the gangster, film noir he was in whenever he had a female to act alongside he did it brilliantly, and was just irresistible. Bogart is again such a gentlemen where he is just so charming when he was in Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn (which was one of her first films) he is so charming and kinda awkward as well, not the usual Bogart you would usually see.
I adore both of these actors, as they are so unique and at the time of them they wasn't anything like them, and I don't think there's anything like them today. I'm gonna say I prefer Jimmy Cagney, as I've watched him alot more and thats usually the reason, but also Jimmy can tap dance! and he's so eyecatching. Again I don't hate Bogart, I just prefer Cagney and have watched him longer and more, but Bogart is again very talented, and both are oozing with charisma and charm in all there roles. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall