Tuesday 3 January 2017

Review: Ethel & Ernest

So this is the first post of 2017! yay, hope everyone has had a great Christmas and New Year! This week I'm gonna be talking about Animation Films as I don't think I have yet. I watched this film and I need to tell about because its so good it should win an Oscar. 
Its based of a graphic novel by Raymond Briggs its the true story of the author parents Ethel & Ernest. Its about them getting together, what they faced during The Depression, World War II and bringing up there son.
I already adore Raymond Briggs I practically grew up watching The Snowman every year. Automatically I love it, let me tell you it is so beautiful and genuine, everyone needs to see it regardless. The couple are so brilliant and real, I'm pretty sure there is a couple just like Ethel & Ernest in your area. The fact that they talk about pretty important things but the dialogue is done in such a natural way. For instance Ethel is very conservative, old fashioned and abit of a worry wort, housewife and mother, whereas Ernest is very working class, jolly, Cockney milkman. But there relationship works, I mean in the words of Paula Abdul 'Opposites Attract'
The artwork and animation is beautifully done, as always with Raymond Briggs. The voice cast is again brilliant, Jim Broadbent as Ernest, Brenda Blethyn as Ethel are both a dream team as they are both fantastic and bring the characters to life. There are some heart aching moments of the film, such as sending Raymond into the country during World War II, and Ethel learning she won't have grandchildren. Likewise as there are some funny and cheerful moments, like VE Day is wonderful to watch and just all the bickering of Ethel & Ernest makes me smile. 
The dialogue is very chatty, and natural which I love as it doesn't feel forced in any way. Because in relationships when you're comfortable with each other you can talk about just about anything, like Politics What I like about the animation and artwork of the film is, that The Snowman was released over 20 years ago with the same artwork incorporated in. The artwork was not changed in any way, because of CGI or anything like that, it was still very in keeping with the whole Briggs work.
                                                               
Anyway this film was brilliant to watch, and I highly recommend you watch it I left the link to buy it but you can watch this on BBC IPlayer for free before it runs out.

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall