Thursday 16 March 2017

Peppermint Friday Review #27: Porco Rosso

Been really wanting to do a review of a Studio Ghibli film as they are amazing, and everyone should talk about them, as I only ever really hear film buffs talk about them (like me), and Anime fans, as Studio Ghibli is the Japanese Disney. So I don't really hear that many people talk about them, well in my area I know its a multi million empire churning out classic films, but whenever I mention it too people they're like 'who?' and that annoys me. 
Porco Rosso is about a World War I veteran who was turned into a pig by a curse before the film takes place, his mannerisms are very charming, and gentleman like. At the beginning Porco take down some sky pirates, after he's finished he goes to his usual diner and bumps into an old friend Gina. The head of the sky pirates go to their diner and plan for they're next attack, which is on Porco. Porco gets attack, and is assumed dead, he then decides to head for Milan to see the mechanic Piccolo assisted by his granddaughter Fio who is very enthusiastic about mechanics.
This film is so amazing, and funny I simply adore the quick witt humour of the script. The time period its set in is 1930s and instantly its appealing to me I love the costumes, the language being used its so stunning, its delicious. Porco is just brilliant, I love how relaxed he is about his appearance, you can tell he's annoyed by it, but not too much from the outside. The story shows you should never judge a book by its cover, with Porco looking like a pig, doesn't mean he is a pig and acts like one. With Fio who is a young woman, that loves mechanics and is amazing at it, you just never know a person until you get to know them, we all have many secrets and troubles.
Gina is a a character that I love, she is so funny and beautiful, she is very streetwise and you honestly wouldn't think it considering, she is very welll off and beautiful. That's why I love Studio Ghibli so much the way they write they're characters is brilliant, I love how relatable and varied they are. There's not one character who I look at and go 'oh she's like this' or 'he's similar to him' its so different and brilliantly written. I loved that they made the main character a pig, because if Porco was a real man, I don't think it would have been as good a film or character, because it gives it an air of mystery. 
Few other minor characters I like are the members of the Gang, Porco and FIo meet. One of them has such a funny voice its so crazy, and memorable I don't know if I hate it or I like it, its like marmite. I like with Studio Ghibli that with creativity there's no limit, with every Studio Ghibli film its different from the other and thats why i love it, with Disney and I ]'m not hating Disney as they're getting better with stories, its just that most of they're stories are about Princesses. With this film its about air pirates, a man who turned into a pig, if I described it to someone who knows nothing about it, they'll think its some dark, grown up film. 
Overall you should give Studio Ghibli a go as they are amazing and make some real diamonds, and Porco Rosso is a great start! One day I will do a post on my favorite Studio Ghibli films, as they're so good everyone should watch them. I will speak to you all later and have a great day wherever you are!

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall