Sunday 28 May 2017

Review: Bandidas

So we're gonna be talking about a film that I briefly mentioned on my last post this was the most recent film I watched and we're gonna talk about it today, because I really liked it.
One thing I will say about the plot of the film, its kinda like a Ping Pong Match just very sporadic and everyone just happens at once particularly at the beginning of the film, but the way it deals with it is really good. We start with two girls from different backgrounds Sara Sandoval and Maria Alvarez played by Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz. Sara is from a very wealthy privileged background, very intelligent and Maria is total polar opposite to Sara, poor, very street wise. Their fathers Maria's being very kind and caring and Sara's very arrogant and money hungry, Maria's father is being forced off the land by a land Baron called Tyler Jackson played by Dwight Yoakam, both Sara and Maria's father come under attack from the Baron and Maria's father is killed but Sara's survives, and as an act of revenge they team up and become robbers and give back to poor Mexicans.
I like at the beginning they bicker and squabble like girls do and especially if they come from two different backgrounds. They soon meet Bill Buck who is an infamous robber and he helps them trust each other, the whole film is very funny and entertaining to watch. I even like the storyline, I do find it just bonkers its like the explaining the story scene from Moulin Rouge where its very OTT. But I'm not sure if some people will find that rhythm of storytelling in film annoying because I know some people do, but if you like Baz Lurhman then you'll love this as the style of film and his style are very similar. Its interesting because the joint Directors of the film are Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg, there films are not OTT and Happy Clappy, well I mean they've only done two major films this one and Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man Tells No Tales which is out now eek!
Bit of a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, so expect a review of that coming soon. I loved with the dynamic duo of the film, Sara whenever she held a gun her instant nervous
reaction towards it was to just have hiccups, and whereas with Maria is fantastic at guns but can't swim, but Sara can and is incredible at knife throwing. One scene however that not necessarily confused me, but I just didn't get why it was there. It was the scene when they recently met Quentin Cooke and they were trying to seduce him and they bickered about who's sexier and about how they kissed him wrong and such. I just didn't get what that scene bought out of the characters, was it meant to show their friendship and how they can bitch and moan about each other? was it meant to show Quentin being slightly intimidated by these girls? either way I just didn't get it at all.  
The costumes of the film were just brilliant, I already love that Spanish/Mexican part of it as it plays a huge role in the film. Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek are always amazing and actresses that don't often get talked about for the roles they've done, as they usually especially Penelope only get talked about because of how beautiful they are as if that's more important than them being a good actress or how well they played the role, not to say they aren't of course. A part of me wishes they made this film into a franchise but another part of me liked that they didn't as I would've loved to see the characters develop, change and grow older, but also it might probably will be just a remake but slightly different from the last one. Also it might have made it seem abit cheaper, so in some ways this film is like a golden nugget. 
                                                                        
I love this film, if you want a bit of a laugh and to entertain yourself then give it a go, but if you want something serious and hardcore then don't watch it. I have a feeling the whole two females taking on the world kinda thing will come back again, so I think maybe you'll see something along the lines of this again soon. Give this film ago even if you aren't a fan of Penelope Cruz or Salma Hayek as its very funny and quick to watch. I will see you all later and have a good day/evening wherever you are!

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall