Thursday 18 May 2017

Peppermint Friday Review: Spectre #36

Here we are at the end of our Bond journey, and I've really enjoyed it and I'm gonna miss it but we will come back to Bond again at one point. Although I have missed watching non Bond films, so I'm looking forward to getting back into doing reviews on non films. Started on Dr No the first Bond film to the current Bond film its a full circle. 
This is a weird one again because there were bits I enjoyed but bits I found lukewarm. At the beginning its all Mardi Gras and I love it, its set in Mexico City and Bond is sent there after the previous M gives him a mission to go over there to stop a terrorist bomb plot. He returns to London under the power struggle of C real name Max Denbigh. The new M played by Ralph Fiennes orders Bond to attend the funeral of Marco Sciarra assassin who belonged to Spectre, but Bond refuses and gets with his widow Lucia. Bond investigates Oberhauser, who worked with Mr White who works for SPECTRE. 
The story is good I can see what they were trying to do, they were doing a different take on the genre with it being less fighting and still remaining true to the essence of the story, but it was very quiet and muted. Bond in this seemed abit heartbroken, that could be well is Daniel Craig's portrayal of him which is great because he's abit more vulnerable I mean he's more relatable in a way, because it takes alot of courage and depth to be this suave hero constantly, so I think its okay for Agent 007 to have abit of a cry now and again. The bond girls of the film were Dr Madeleine Swann a psychologist and daughter of Mr White, and Lucia Sciarra both played by Lea Seydoux and Monica Bellucci even though he has more sexual passion I guess you can call it with Lucia, but he has a much more friendship/relationship/partnership whatever you call it with Madeleine and with Lucia she's honestly just there for sex, I think she's great but if there was a competition between Lucia and Madeleine there really isn't a competition. 
Also Monica Bellucci is the oldest Bond girl to date being 51, which is great because in Hollywood if you're a woman and as soon as you turn 40 you're apparently not allowed to do sex scenes, so its great and I'd like it to be a new turn in storytelling that doesn't mean I wanna see 50 year olds having sex, its just if 20 year old actors can do sex scenes why can slightly older generation? Anyway I love Lea Seydoux she was just brilliant and a stand out for me definitely, loved what she did for the role and the part. Miss Moneypenny who I haven't mentioned yet, but she is brilliant secretary to M and played by the wonderful Naomi Harris who I just love to pieces. I love how in the more modern Bond films, Miss Moneypenny isn't just a secretary, she does so much more than that and really substantial. 
Q who is played by Ben Whishaw, the head of Q Division basically provides Bond with the info and equipment for everything he does so much more though, but that's the basics as to what the does. I love Ben Whishaw, such a brilliant actor he's one of those actors who's in a film or tv show and he isn't the main lead but you always remember him and be like 'I know that guy he was in this this'. The thing that made it slightly lukewarm for me is that it didn't wow me at all, I was blown away by it, I thought it was good but I don't think its the best Bond film. The acting stands out, but the script annoyed me just a little it didn't make me feel on the edge of my seat like I usually do with some Bond films. In Bond I've learnt its either action/thriller on the edge of your seat sort of thing or muted quiet understated and that is not a bad thing at all its like choosing between chocolate and vanilla ice cream both are lovely depends on your sweet tooth.  
                                                              
I like this film, but I'm crazy on it the acting is the best thing but if you wanna see Ben Whishaw, or Ralph Fiennes, Daniel Craig, Lea Seydonx etc etc then they are all in amazing films and tv shows, but if you wanna see them all together then watch this film. I think if you like Sofia Coppola's films which are amazing films, very quiet, understated and beautiful scenic views then you'll love this kinda Bond because there are plenty out there. Also this film didn't really have many fight scenes, it was more like an argument constantly not a bad thing though but that's one of the big reasons why I love Bond films. Anyway watch this film, don't watch it whatever Bond is a fantastic genre, one that everyone should give a go I've really enjoyed these past 2 weeks and I hope you have too have a wonderful weekend and I shall see you all very soon!

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall