Thursday 11 May 2017

Peppermint Friday Review #35: Licence To Kill

I get the feeling you guys can get the pattern we've got going, so we started from the 60s, then the 70s and now 80s, so who knows what decade we'll have next hmmmm its the 40s, obviously joking. This bond film is slightly different because the story has much more of a background and its not my favourite but I still love it. 
It stars Timothy Dalton as James Bond and I love his portrayal of Bond being this quite stern man, and not as jokey not to say all of the others loved having a laugh, its just they had abit of sense of humour that was much more louder, whereas his was I guess more British and drier, so I loved that. Its funny because the books are so British and yet this film was written by two Americans and I'm surprised that they got not only the bond feel of the film right, but also the dry, sarcastic humour because not being racist but sometimes when I watch Americans try to do British humour, where we're quite dry and sarcastic its just like 'oh don't do that'. It reminds me of a mum trying to be cool and down with the kids and you're the teenager like 'god mom you're so embarrassing'. It also stars Carey Lowell as Pam Bouvier who is a CIA informant and I don't know why but I just didn't warm to her as much as I did Barbara Bach. 
Loved Sanchez played by Robert Davi and he is fantastic my favourite Bond villain so far, if he and Jaws can team up because that would be the best combination ever. The whole film is set in Florida, and Mexico and it looks beautiful, and I love how 80s the film is. I know that sounds weird but the beginning of the Bond films are always amazing to watch because they represent the film, story and just the whole Bond genre really well. Plus it represents the time really well, the whole 80s feel to it, its just wonderful to watch. 
The costumes to this film are really good, because as well all know I love the 80s, and costumes. I think the reason that may be is because I feel a costume really represents a character, and show their emotions and makes them much more 3D and people who might be real. The one thing that let me down a little bit which is the most important thing was the story wasn't that good. I just didn't feel the story had much charisma to it, I mean it did the job it went from A to B and that's what stories are supposed to but I just didn't like it. For some reason it felt like it was written as a Soap Opera rather than a Bond film. 
It's funny I know because I mentioned I love the humour, and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was and how British it was made out. But getting from A to B on the other hand just felt abit stiff and annoying going from scene to scene. That was the one down side to the film well that and Pam but the story is the most important thing in a film its the bread and butter in a way. Other than that its pretty good, but like I've said before I wouldn't watch a film purely based of the costume or the actors and go away saying its great and I loved it. I feel the actors and costume are just an element to the film, and can make the film from good to amazing. If a story isn't very good then it isn't very good, theres no going back its just that. 
                                                                 
Over all I like this film, but I don't love it and I'm gonna be honest with you guys I hate it when films make me feel like this. With films I wanna either love it and its my new favourite film or I hate it and I can't stand it, and when theres an in between its like 'eh'. Especially when I have to write about it on here, because I hate writing reviews that are just lukewarm. Anyway I liked it but I didn't love it, and there are better Bond films out there I feel anyway. You never know you could be totally lukewarm about a film, and watch it a few years later and finally have an opinion that's not lukewarm.

I will speak to you all later and have a lovely weekend and I shall see you all next week!

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall