Sunday 7 May 2017

Review: Dr No

I've decided the next 2 weeks will be James Bond themed and I know what you're thinking 'But Zara you can just do a post talking about your favourite James Bond films!' Yeah you're right I probably could but I'm not going to, as well I haven't seen that many James Bond films, which is ridiculous because I'm British you'd think we'd all be bought up on James Bond, I wasn't but also I wanna talk about James Bond properly, I mean if you're gonna get into James Bond you my as well go right in there. 
So we're gonna start at the beginning because that's a good place to start, with the first James Bond film and official actor Sean Connery. It starts with Agent 007 on a mission in Jamaica during an investigation going into stealing documents known as 'Crabkey' and 'Dr No', and when he's in Jamaica he's faced with people trying to kill him, and take him down obviously, along with the women he sleeps with. I've only seen 2 James Bond films before this and they were Skyfall and Spectre. The difference I saw was that 60s version experimented with colour but I guess that's a given for 60s films. But the films now its all very grey, white and neutral, and black colours, which isn't a surprise because the Bond films I've seen were both mainly set in England. 
Bond films are weird in a sense, its a feel to them like there isn't really a sub-genre added to it, like I know its an action film with a gorgeous man with an English accent holding a gun, added with him sleeping with a beautiful girl. But I mean there isn't a comedy element to it, and its all abit predictable in a way I am on the first day of my James Bond Journey so things could change, but from the first Bond film to the current Bond film its basically James Bond is on a mission to kill a bad guy and along the way people try to kill him and he ends up sleeping with an impossibly beautiful woman who he's either in love with or not and he ends either defeats the bad guy or we don't know.  Again its the beginning of my journey of the Bond so I'll admit I'm wrong definitely, I love Jamaica and that's another reason it looks so colourful its a beautiful tropical island.
I love Sean Connery he is just fantastic, I was charmed by him which surprises me as I always imagined David Niven being James Bond because he's charming and wonderful plus Ian Fleming actually thought and wanted David Niven to be James Bond. But Sean Connery is still good, one moment of the film I wanted to cringe and scream at him though was the bit where he is in bed and a giant tarantula comes down and sits on his arm crawling up to him and the whole time he knows this spider on his arm and isn't going crazy and about to kill it and he just sits there looking at this spider for atleast 5 seconds and I know that doesn't sound bad but it felt like 5 minutes I wanted to scream at him like 'THERE'S A FUCKING SPIDER ON YOU! GET RID OF IT!'. He just let it chill on him and I'm like you're in your bedroom you can be a wuss and scream like a girl, you don't have to Agent 007 all the time. 
I like Ursula Andress, but I'm annoyed that they didn't give her much character development, but that's the writers fault but her as an actress I wasn't that crazy about her, but films have improved in terms of castings and writings particular on female characters since. This film has been named as one of the best James Bond films ever and completely understand why its so iconic and with the music its got the theme song that we all know, love and have heard a thousand times but back then it was new and exciting, so that makes me happy. 
                                                              
Overall its a fantastic film you should watch it if you're a fan or not of James Bond because it really is good would of preferred it to have some other genre to it, like it being an action and abit of a comedy but I understand that its James Bond and has its own genre entirely and I guess that's why I never really watched them. But what I want from this week is going through James Bond decades review by review, so today is 60s and Wednesday will be 70s and Friday 80s and so on till now. Who knows in the future I'll do a post talking all about my favourite Bond films. I'll speak to you all soon and have a wonderful day/evening!

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall