Thursday 25 May 2017

Peppermint Friday Review: Gone Girl #37

This is the film I just don't like and I'm happy that I'm talking about this because on here I do talk about films I love and its refreshing to talk about something I didn't like and didn't get.
Firstly I read the book before the film, which is something you should normally do, I try to do that but not always. Its with exception of Harry Potter and LOTR because I watched them when I was around 8-9 and back then I had quite bad dyslexia and those books are huge so I just didn't read them, I have now though. I mean with book to film adaptations there is obviously gonna be a difference in the film, because a director's mind is completely different to an author's and there are some things in the story that are just inherently book oriented and some things that work amazingly for film. What the story is about is Amy and Nick played by Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck a couple who have been married for 5 years and on their 5th Anniversary Amy disappears, and its the story and mystery as to what happened to Amy. 
The film goes in flashbacks to when Nick first met Amy and Amy's past boyfriends and what happened the day she disappeared. Amy is also known as 'Amazing Amy' by the public because of the popular books her parents wrote in the inspiration of their daughter. The story is so flawed and it annoys me because there is noone I can relate to in this story at all not one person is sympathetic at all. The couple are questioning what went wrong in their marriage, they were both unemployed due to the recession which led Nick to have an affair with Andie played by Emily Ratajkowski, and there were problems of whether or not Amy's pregnant. Its a whole public search as to where is Amy and her relationship with Nick, and he becomes a prime suspect that he killed her. As Amy learned that Nick was having an affair so instead of confronting him about it and going from there in their relationship, no she frames him for murder, her murder. 
I just find the whole story ludicrous and I watched the film twice because I wanted to see if I hated the story or the film itself, because there is a difference I liked the actors in the film, but the story and characters were just terrible. Nick meets Tommy played by Scoot McNairy an ex of Amy's who she accused him of rape, he also meets Desi Collings played by Neil Patrick Harris another of Amy's exs who had a restraining order against him, Amy then decides to meet him and wants him to runaway together and that Nick was abusing her. I know its so so so dumb, Amy and Desi capture there old fire in a way and have some fun and as they're doing it, she gets a knife and kills him while they're doing it..... yes you read that. Oh but it gets weirder and much more ludicrous, Amy then gets in her car and still covered in blood, drives home to Nick, while still being covered in blood, not her blood but the guy she just murdered's blood.

I'd like to let you all know that noone questions her about it, and she gets sent to the hospital for check ups I assume and yet still covered in blood and noone questions why. But she names Desi who's dead as her captor and rapist clearing Nick of being a suspect. In the end Amy says to Nick she's pregnant, Nick doesn't believe this and is willing to take a paternity test and decides to stay with Amy. I just find the whole story so stupid its annoying because the concept is brilliant I mean it sounds so juicy and like some Creepypasta that will keep you up at night thinking 'what happened to her?' 'was she killed or did she just had enough?' a million questions go through your mind and it delivers itself like a wet lettuce.
Its not just the film its the book aswell, it took me about a week to read it and it was very slow paced. This has nothing to do with the Director of the film David Fincher who I love so much, but its the story that's at fault. I don't know what the author wanted me to think, was it suppose to be a test of whether or not I have empathy/sympathy because I think most humans do. I could not relate to anyone in this story, I thought Amy was just stupid I mean if you're not happy in your relationship you talk to each other and get it sorted out, whether that'd be splitting up or staying together and working through it. I mean you don't just frame your husband for your murder and leg it? One good thing from this is that she is the third woman in stories for me anyway to make my blood boil with anger. Overall I don't like this story and I'm happy I'm not the only one as I've seen many people take a dislike to this and the book. If you want to watch it go right ahead you're not gonna miss out much from the book, if you wanna read the book then go for it but you'll be wasting a week and about 2 and half hours of your life.  

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall