Friday 30 December 2016

Peppermint Friday Review #16: The Lady In The Van

Its been a week, sorry about that Christmas happen. Hope you all had a good one, I'm gonna talk about this film which is one of my favorites. 
I don't know why I didn't see this film up til now, because its really good. Its about Allen Bennett (who wrote this story) who lives in Camden with an old lady who lives in a van on that road, well I mean the title speaks for itself. Its the question of who is this woman? Why does she live in a van? What has she done? Its so personal and bonkers at the same time. Maggie Smith is brilliant, well she always is really a big inspiration of mine, she captures Mary Shepard (real name Margaret Fairchild) fantastically to the point where I can't see anyone playing her except her. 
What I loved the most about this film is the distinguish between writer Allen and everyday Allen, because in a way it does capture being a writer or just someone alone and creative that doesn't have that much human interaction. Where he just talked to himself, and had arguments with himself. I knew who Allen Bennett was a little, I mean I watched The History Boys and that was good, but I wasn't obsessed with him, and he has a very particular writing style as it sets him apart from any writer. After this film, I think I can say he's gonna become a fast favorite. 
I loved Alex Jennings he was so good at being the tolerant neighbour of Mary. When I saw searching for who directed it, and in it I notice allot of them did allot of work in theatre. Which was really good, as it showed for me a different side to a director's vision. Nicholas Hytner who directed it did alot of theatre and opera work plus he directed the theatre plays of The History Boys and The Lady In The Van. It was refreshing to watch a film with a director who mainly did theatre work, to do a film. 
All the cameos of The History Boys were brilliant, especially as we all know James Corden is this big star now. This film really is brilliant, the story of the lady is so intriguing and wonderful. Its a beautifully written story that I love very much. I'll do a post tomorrow on the last day of 2016! and I shall speak to you all very soon!

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall