Friday 7 October 2016

Peppermint Friday Review #4: Sid & Nancy

This week is all about Period Dramas, and not gonna lie I really struggled as with this. Because a typical Period Drama is beautiful accurate costumes, 18th century romance, preferably with Keira Knightly in. I personally see a Period Drama for me as something that you watch and you instantly want to be a part of, weather it be a 1920s, 80s, 70s, or even 18th century. Although I have wrote about allot about biopics, which I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing, its just something I've done. 


So anyway this week, I gonna talk about Sid & Nancy for those of you who don't know Sid and Nancy were a real couple in the 1970s, Sid was in a band called The Sex Pistols who were the biggest thing ever, and pretty much summed up the whole Punk Era, I mean it affected everyone, particularly my Dad.  Nancy was Sid's girlfriend who was a groupie, and drug addict, they both fell in love, and this film is there story. 

It stars Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious who is just, I'm gonna say is one of the best Actors ever. I found out fairly recently he didn't like Sid & Nancy the film and at the time couldn't see why it should be made, and he said something like whenever he sees, it on TV he wants to throw the TV out the window, and thats very Punk gotta admit. I watched a documentary called 'Filth and The Fury' which is such good documentary if you're into Punk, 70s Sex Pistols, and that kinda world, then watch it because its fantastic. I watched it and there are clips of Nancy and Sid and everyone in the Sex Pistols basically, and they talked about how they wore black bin bags because they couldn't afford a\ real leather jacket, and why they had safety pins in, because they didn't buy a new one because they couldn't afford it, so they put it back together. It's funny because we see the 70s, Sex Pistols as this 'fuck this' attitude, when in actual fact they were from the poor area of London, and just made do. 
The film is obviously about Sid Vicious and Nancy, who had such an intense relationship, kinda like a Romeo and Juliet one, I mean they were totally destructive to each other. Chloe Webb who played Nancy did a very good job, because she really got the accent right. That nasal, bit whinny, and naggy voice was spot on. One thing I was annoyed with was Johnny Rotten wasn't mention that much in the film. I mean I get that this film is called 'Sid & Nancy' and its about Sid and Nancy obviously! but Johnny Rotten did play a big part in this, in real life he hated Nancy and was Sid's best mate. Also he had a very interesting life, but going back to the point its called Sid and Nancy.  I read somewhere aswell that John Lydon, Johnny Rotten's real name. That he didn't like his representation of him in the film he said that he acted like he was jealous of Sid, and liked Nancy. 


Overall I loved this film regardless of what Gary Oldman thinks, or John Lydon. I think its a wonderful representation of a love story, beautifully written and acted. The period is just absorbing, as you kinda wanna be apart of that, which is what I mention at the beginning. One of my favorite bits of the film is when Sid is singing 'My way' in a drug dream I guess you could call it.  You have Nancy in the audience, and the audience is a very well to do audience and he starts shooting everyone with a pistol in the end. I just found that really entertaining and interesting and I don't know why. 
Honestly watch this film, because it is good, and such a Cult Classic film. I mean Gary Oldman and John Lydon weren't a big fan of this film, doesn't mean you won't be just means its much more of a true Cult Classic. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall