Friday 28 October 2016

Peppermint Friday Film Review #7: The Raven

I feel like this week is all about Vincent Price, well for a good reason as he is an amazing actor and anytime someone says 'Horror!' he is the first person I think of.

This film is based of the Edgar Allen Poe poem 'The Raven' its about a doctor called Erasmus Craven who is played by Vincent Price is visited by a Raven and as it turns out the Raven is a wizard known as Dr Bedlo, then they help to make a potion to turn him back to a human again.

I first heard this story when it was retold in 'The Treehouse Of Horror' Simpsons episode, Then I loved it because it was funny, and unique then I read the poem and watched the film, I love the cast of this film even more as it's a got a young Jack Nicholson he stars as Dr Bedlo's son Rexford. Its wonderful to see him so young and play a character thats so unlike any part that we see him being so welll known for. The original text by Edgar Allen Poe is much more darker and sinister. Which is why I love the fact that with this film its told as a Dark Comedy, its such a clever concept of an idea turning it into another idea. 
The dialogue is amazing and so slapstick, theres alot of typically funny and amusing lines like 'oh whats the worst that could happen?' then *BOOM*. I love the characters, they so amusing and entertaining. Its a joy to watch, Vincent Price's character is like a mixture of Merlin and Tim Curry combined I know its totally bizarre to compare Vincent with Tim Curry but there is a similarity. But I will talk about that for another time as its such an interesting thing to deal with. I love the fact that Roger Corman who directed and produced the film, on a budget of $350,000. Its nice that its not flashy, its a good script and a group of talented actors, I've said this before. 
This film is fantastic as for me, I mentioned this in my previous post but I mentioned that I prefer Horror with another genre on to it. Horror with a twist, because I do love horror as a genre but when its got abit of Comedy to it I just like it more. It makes it much more edgier I reckon, because we can all be serious but making a situation from a tense scenario to something that can be quite witty, rather than it being a scary tense bull in a china shop is much more for me. Although with saying that I do like a good thriller and 'on the edge'  kinda film, but It does depend upon the mood I'm in, so I guess its not totally accurate. I love Dr Bedlo, when he's the Raven as its just bonkers, the dialogue when he's a bird is so funny.
I have left a link if you want to buy the film or nevermore if you don't. See what I did there? Overall its a fantastic film, and if you want something that will make you chuckle, along with some pretty dark characters then watch this film. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall