Monday 17 October 2016

Review: East Of Eden

I am a huge fan of James Dean, and I thought I'd do a post about his first film, East Of Eden. 
This is a story about a family in Salinas, and Cal (who is played by James Dean)is a ruthless individual, and his brother Aron who is a sensible guy, and its just about family, relationships. I don't wanna say too much as I don't wanna ruin a story as I do feel its a film that needs to be watch/read organically rather than being explained. 
Those of you who don't know, this film is a book by John Steinbeck that I haven't read yet. But the film is just amazing, and it is James Dean's first proper film, one thing that I do love about this is that I watched a screen test that James Dean was in with Lois Smith and its just so beautifully intense, theres just something about it that just makes you fall in love with it.
But this film is amazing, I love the colours and everyone does there bit so wonderfully. It just works like a successful jigsaw, I love Elia Kazan direction of the whole film it just seemed like he was so cool about it all, I mean he didn't forced anything from what I saw I mean, although he did directed A Streetcar Named Desire, which is one of the coolest films ever. I totally urge you to watch this film so I'll leave a link for an amazon buy as I do believe its a film anyone would like.


It also hits quite close to home for James Dean as this film is about a son yearning for his father's attention and acceptance. James Dean had that similar relationship with his father where he wasn't really that close to his father, and wanted to do things that he loved and his mother loved, but his father didn't show that much enthusiasm for his career as he did, and wanted for him too.

Like most people I am totally in love with James Dean he is such an amazing actor and plus he is pretty gorgeous. Anyway its funny as we always see really cool actors like James Dean and Marlon Brando as these 'cool, slick, and unpolished polished' actors and people, but in actual fact he is literally just a big baby moaning constantly, but its nice, and I feel its more James Dean as he died very young.
This whole film is just beautifully done, I love the script and everything just gels together so perfectly. Honestly this is all about James Dean as he stands out in this film, and everyone should watch this film, maybe not even just this film but just a James Dean film as he is just fantastic, and the real thing you should watch is the screentests he did for this film. With Lois Smith, and Paul Newman as its just so nice to see that he's a huge star now, but also he was just so comfortable, but also awkward at the same time.
I feel this week is a very cool 50s week, so look forward to the next couple of days of cool teen 50s films this week.

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall