Tuesday 4 October 2016

Favorite Period Drama Films

I mention in my last post I said I wanted to talk about my favorite war films. But I kinda wanna change that, so I can talk about films from a certain time of history, as I've watched more Period Drama films, wheras with War films, I've barely watched any.  

The Duchess

This film is just so good, its about the Duchess of Devonshire, Georgiana Cavendish in the 18th Century, she is played by Keira Knightley who is amazing in this film. Seriously there are people out there who say she can't act, they clearly have never seen this film. The character is like an 18th Century version of Princess Diana. Honestly so much happens in this film, its crazy. Dominic Cooper and Ralph Fiennes are in this film also and both play her husband and lover. I love the 18th Century setting, and with it being a film with Keira Knightly and this is actually one of my favorite films of hers, I know Pride and Prejudice is the obvious one, but nah.

The Diary Of Anne Frank

There are many many versions of Anne Frank, some good, some not so good. But the version I'm gonna talk about is the 2001 version which is amazing as Ben Kingsley as Otto Frank.  I've seen interviews of Otto Frank and he seems like such a calm person, and a real dad bit weird to say but its true. A little trivia about the first Anne Frank film, Otto originally wanted Audrey Hepburn to play his daughter, because she was pretty much everything Anne loved, and plus she looked a little bit like her, but anyway she said no because they were in the same war, and it would have been too much for her.  I love this story I've read the book, and its a play aswell never been/seen the play, but its great how it was adapted for it. Honestly any film of the Diary of Anne Frank is always good, because its an amazing story. 
Perfume

This film is about a man called Jean-Baptiste Grenouille who has a superhuman sent of smell, he then goes on to create the perfect smell, and he does this by murdering alot of very beautiful women, and the scenic views of the whole landscape of the film are just wonderful. This film is beautiful, and the book is amazing aswell. I'm not gonna be one of those people who's like 'you should read the book!' unless it was an amazing book and film. This time it is, I'm being serious.  Alan Rickman is in it, and as Alan Rickman is, just the best. I also loved in particular Rachel Hurd-Wood she is amazing in it, just serenity and pureness of it, wonderful. The whole story is amazing, like you can see the desperation of Jean Baptiste where he is completely taken by his desire of the perfect smell, and just obsessed, it is a wonderful film and book, watch/read both.
The Pianist

The story takes place in Poland during the Second World War, its about a Jewish Pianist and his story, I say his story because he goes through hell in this film, and alot happens in this film. Plus this film is very very sad, and honestly if you're under the age of 13 I wouldn't recommend this film, I only say that because I don't think I would've coped with it, but doesn't mean anyone under 13 can't cope with this film. I mean I would like to point out that there are dead bodies in it, its not a horror film its set in Second World War in Poland. You can make out what film it is, but overall this film is just so hearwrenching its unreal. 
Marie Antoinette

Now I like this film, its obviously about Marie Antoinette, directed by Sofia Coppola I love the costume of this film, like all Sofia Coppola films its a quiet film. Alot of people aren't a big fan of this film as its 'unrealistic' but to be honest, its true to what it is, and adding abit of creativity to it, which is what you need to do with films, unless you're making a documentary then be as accurate and nit picky as you want.  I do personally love it, Kristen Dunst is very good as Marie Antoinette, as she is known for being this 'cake-eating-not-giving-a-fuck-queen' but Kristen took a twist with the character, and made her a total opposite, and just a scape goat which she was but I think its a beautiful film. Just watch loads of Documentarys about Marie Antoinette and you won't hate her. 
Thats it, I'm not that into period drama films, I guess what can you distinguish between a 'period drama film' or a biopic, because alot of he period drama films I watch are based on a real person or event. I guess I focus on what the film bring to that particular time, so thats why this list was shorter. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall