Monday 17 April 2017

Review: Ghost In The Shell

So we're gonna talk about this film, because its been a while since I watched a good Sci-Fi film. As I heard good reviews about this, and some bad well it riled a few people on twitter when it came out like the first week. I just wondered what it was all about and not too sound like a child but its my blog, I can do what I want. 
The film is based of the Manga, with the same title and it was an anime aswell, and just very popular in Japan. Its set in the distant future and its a world where humans are enhancing themselves by adding robotic parts to it, and it helps with things such as vision, strength. Basically its a future where everyone wants to be a superhero, Mira Killian who was attacked in an incident that led her to have injuries that were difficult to fix, so they use all there technology on her, Which means its technology they haven't properly develop yet, like they used a mechanical body that inter fears with the brain. Its just her coming to turns with that, and being used as a weapon aswell, to an extent its also about her trying to remember her past as that's coming a distant memory more and more. 
I love this film, I had the ignorance of not knowing the anime or manga so that's something that I think is a good thing as I can make up what I think of it, just with a blank knowledge, but I had a feeling this was very anime-esque. As I've said this before, but it needs saying again, anime is very creative and just the media and stories in Japan are churning more and more brilliant stories, just so original and creative. I love the concept of this story so much, its so original and innovative. I love the portrayal of Scarlett Johansson as the main character, I haven't seen Scarlett act that much, my fault because I just haven't seen her in many films I've watched, completely changed now, as I love her and need to watch more of her. 
The criticism this film has is a case of Whitewashing a term which I've only just found what it means, what it means is characters in media portraying characters who are either, Asian or Black, or just any other ethnic background that isn't white, being played by actors who are white. Its a problem that's been seen, for years and it's got to a point where its okay. I don't agree with whitewashing, like for example if a film portrays characters who are of the Indian decent, and you get a bunch white actors to portray them that's something I don't get and doesn't make sense to me at all. But the story doesn't explain that she's Japanese, like we know the story was written by someone who's Japanese, and its set in Japan. That doesn't mean the main character has to be Japanese, but Scarlett Johansson did a fantastic job and if Mira was played by an Actress of the Japanese decent and was brilliant then I wouldn't have an issue at all. 
Other characters I like are Doctor Ouelet who is played by Juliette Binoche I loved her, even though she created Mira like a modern Frankenstein she was very motherly. The costumes and CGI of the film was so beautiful this film is an example of how CGI and Photoshop can be a craft that's mastered, and its a real art form, it was just so beautifully done and best display of CGI and Photoshop I've ever seen in a film. Michael Pitt and Takeshi Kitano were both brilliant again, love their portrayal of two characters they really stood out to me. 
The manga is actually a series and I think theres 3 stories of the manga, so I'm assuming that theres gonna be another film coming out in a few years. I don't know if I'm gonna see it, because I enjoyed watching this I don't know if I'll enjoy a franchise of it, but its only the one film at the moment so you never know. I have a post all about what I think of Sequels, Franchises and Reboots, if you wanna read all about that click here. If you love Sci-Fi and anime and very Japanese manga esque then you will love this. If you arn't too keen on CGI and Photoshop and think its very stupid and annoying, and you turn your nose up at it then watch this as it will change your mind about it.

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall