Thursday 13 April 2017

Peppermint Friday Review #31: Whatever Happened To Baby Jane

I think I've found my new favourite film guys. I'm being serious its so good I can't explain its that kinda good. Plus its got Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and as its the only film with the two of them in, were gonna talk about it and personally its one of their best individually. Its also my kind of horror as its not all bloody, guts and gore like some horrors now its just very human and that's terrifying.
The film is about two sisters called Jane or Baby Jane her stage name and she is this very Shirley Temple character in little puffy dresses and singing sweet songs, and she's this huge child star. Her younger sister Blanche is lived in her shadow until the decline of Baby Jane goes down and Blanche who is an actress now goes up. One night Blanche was hit by a car and became wheelchair bound and lives with her sister Jane in Blanche's mansion which was left by their father. Blanche wants to sell the house, as Jane's mental health starts to deteriorate and becomes obsessed with her past life as Baby Jane.
I love Jane as a character because I feel we're all at fault with this, where we ruminate over past thoughts and everything good or bad you've done in your life. That's what this is, its so easy I think, because all it starts with is overthinking and then paranoia and one thing leads to another suddenly you're driving yourself crazy and you're a villain and we're all the villains. Bit deep for Peppermint Friday but its true and we shouldn't hate Jane too much as she's just jealous and annoyed that her sister is this huge star and she isn't, and she's obsessed with her past life which isn't healthy for anyone. She sings the songs she used to sing when she was about 7 and now she's in her 50s I think, still wanting to act like a child, you feel sorry for her more than anything I think.
For Joan Crawford she plays the obvious victim, its very yin and yan with their relationship as sisters, its Jane being the crazy, obsessed one and Blanche just the grateful actress whose happy and appreciates things in her life and doesn't take it for granted. It's a shame as in the end scene Blanche says that she's sorry and feels guilty for her now being the big star and Jane in her shadow, and Jane just turns to Blanche and says something like 'All this time we could of been friends' and it just breaks your heart. I think that quote applies to Joan Crawford and Bette Davis's friendship as they're both such strong independent women, you'd think they'd have loads in common and are lifelong friends obviously not. 
The minor characters like Edwin Flagg who answers this advertisement that Jane put up to revive her singing career, I love how English he is and polite, the fact the Jane is crazy and trying to look calm and normal, he can see through the lines I reckon. The neighbours Mrs Bates and Liza Bates who is played by B D Merrill, are brilliant Mrs Bates is so taken aback by things and very sweet, but Liza is abit more streetwise and just knows somethings going on and I love that its just brilliant as it shows everyone is different with different outlooks and such. One thing I love about this, is that yes its a horror but noone screams that much and I felt like it was the beginning of women of an older age to play characters like this and physiological horrors. 
 Costumes of the film is brilliant I love that Jane constantly is reapplying her makeup, so it just looks cakey and pastey. She is always wearing old fashioned dresses, dresses that a Victorian Doll would wear its just so eerie and you feel sorry for her. With Blanche she's very modern, well modern as you can be for a woman in the 60s in her 40s I guess. The dialogue is brilliant aswell, when Blanche is talking about the films she's done, and Jane says the one film she did. Blanche just goes 'oh yeah that comedy you did I know that, I saw it' and Jane just goes 'no it was a romance' I love that its so 'I know what you do I just don't take notice of it' 
I also love Edwin's mother Dehlia she is such a mother character, overbearing very suspicious but rightly so as the film goes on and Jane and Blanche starts to deteriorate everything comes out. One moment I just thought 'oh god' when I was watching it was the bit with Jane's dinner to Blanche and its the budgie thats in Blanche's room, and later on Jane gives her a rat for lunch. It's just so gross and disturbing again you feel sorry for her, as what makes you think its alright to give your sister that for dinner/lunch? Its just crazy and weird but that's a horror, and at least noone will say Jane's boring. Love the cleaning lady Elvira she wasn't that stereotypical black woman that you see alot of, which I loved as it was refreshing. She was a brilliantly written character I felt and she was played by Maidie Norman who is an actress I've never heard of that much and is so unique and wonderful, I've never seen an actress like her before. 
                                                               
This film, is why I love films well not entirely as I love films for a multitude of reasons, but with this film its brilliant. I love the story of this film, its my kinda horror I love the relationship between Jane and Blanche even though its totally dysfunctional, but its so good and I love it. The film goes from A all the way to Z with no interruptions that have nothing to do with the plot, I just feel like this film achieves everything it set out too. I'd definitely watch it again and if like me you like Horrors, but not the blood and guts one, just the psychological ones. Then you'd love this, hope you all have a wonderful Easter Weekend! 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall