Tuesday 11 April 2017

Davis Vs Crawford

This 'verses' is alot more interesting and juicy as these two women are obviously extremely talented and very well respected. But with these women a big difference between them and the rest of the reviews of Actors/Actresses I've done so far have all had similarities between them, whether they're styles or they've been in alot of films, or they're rivals but its not feud like with these ladies.
I don't know why I didn't do this sooner as the intensity and the hatred these women had towards each other is so juicy and intriguing its been made into a TV Show called Feud which was created by Ryan Murphy who I love and no I haven't seen it yet, but the two women are being played by Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon so I immediately think its gonna be good and I need to see it now. Anyway, let's start as always at the beginning of both of they're lives. Bette's life seems pretty normal her parents did split up when she was about 7, she had a younger sister and was encouraged by her mother to do Acting and her mother even went to New York with her, so she can study Theatre as that was her main speciality before films became bigger and needed more actors rather than Joe from the street. Joan on the other hand was experienced with dancing that was her thing and her mother and father separated and Joan didn't even know her real father, as her mother remarried and had a stepfather who owned a theatre and that's when Joan loved dancing and wanted to be a dancer. Although Joan's stepfather got in a bit of legal trouble involving embezzlement and soon after her mother and stepfather split up and I think it really affected Joan and her relationships with men.
So their beginnings are quite different, but abit similar as they both have divorced parents, and that's pretty much it both have wanted to perform from an early age, one was encouraged, the other just liked it. Joan is alot more tougher if that makes sense, like she has done all the crappy jobs and dealt with some real arseholes. Bette Davis is tough aswell, probably just as tougher I guess, because she had a strong woman her mother in her life and found the first few years on screen really difficult as actresses at that time who worked in film were all beautiful and were usually sweet and endearing. But Bette was just the opposite of that and had very strong facial features like her beautiful eyes and her voice was strong and very screechy and theatrical in a way. Whereas Joan Crawford found it fairly easy being a dancer and the vaudeville circuit being popular they were just churning out actors from there. Also Joan Crawford was typically very beautiful and started being a body double for Norma Shearer who was the most popular actress at the time and also had the gift of the gab in a way being quite streetwise with things but in a classy way, things were just different for them both. But they are amazingly strong, fantastic no nonsense women. 
In terms of roles they both have played its very similar as they've both had the privilege I think of playing truly unique women who are independent, sassy, and outspoken. At that time those kinda characters for women were coming into they're own, back then female characters weren't very three dimensional and it was either a sweet doting wife, or a doting mother. There wasn't many characters depicting women who are real and women you see in real life. So in some ways these women are real pioneers in that field, because crazily enough women arn't always cheerful, smiling housewives they can be real bitches. 
In terms of there feud, they only worked on one film together called 'Whatever Happen To Baby Jane' and they hated each other I will talk more about that film soon. Sometimes I reckon from the huge feud they had, was probably overexaggerated as that something that happens, particularly with two very famous and successful actresses, who also has very strong personalities. They did hate each other, but I like to think its not as bad its really made out, because thats when things turn into gossip and hear'say.
In 1963 Oscars, Joan Crawford, Hedda Hopper tried to sabotage Bette Davis so that she wouldn't win, and I can understand why Joan would be annoyed that she didn't get nominated because she did the same film, and was just as good in that as Bette, and had the utmost hatred towards her at all. But I do think that was the wrong thing to do, as I think it should be a fair game, and whoever wins, wins and that's it. I just seemed abit childish I think, but then again it could be hear'say as apparently she persuaded Geraldine Page to take the night off when she won, Joan would take the Oscar as a sort of favor to her. The actual winner of the night which was Anne Bancroft and she wasn't there so Joan persuaded again the Oscars if she could that the award as a favor to Anne. Even though Joan didn't win, I guess she wanted the whole 'I have an Oscar do you?' to Bette backstage. Again like I said it could be hear'say, but I have a feeling they couldn't exaggerate that.
Personal lives of both, are quite similar as they both have had a lot of husbands, and had children in which they have been very domineering towards. Like with Joan Crawford her daughter Christina wrote a book called Mommie Dearest and it was made into a film, and it basically was a horror. Apparently she was a very domineering, and just not a great mother but I don't believe it was as bad as it's made out again, things can be misinterpreted I don't think you should take things as fact and figure. I believe this could be the case, as Joan was a strong woman with a very outspoken personality on life. Bette Davis's Daughter B.D wrote a book about her relationship with her mother and again she was a domineering woman, but I think Bette forgave her and completely understood, as with Joan I guess she didn't like to be made out like some Villainess.
I love these two women, as they are both so colourful and flawed which is something I admire and love in people. We've seen them, threaten, showing attitude, and just explode in general both onscreen playing amazing characters anyone would be jealous of, and in there day to day life aswell. Whoever you prefer you can't deny you wanna be, either one of them I know I do, as they are both just so brilliant you'd love to have a drink with them and a chat about anything. Basically what I'm trying to say is they are my kinda women, independent, sassy, don't take shit, complete leaders. Joan was in a way much more versitile where she did other things than Acting, she was a business woman and a Dancer with Bette she was just an Actress, but an amazing one.
I honestly can't decide, as there is no competition between them both because like I've said before and I'll say again they are both so brilliant. I'm gonna say and I only say this because I just do and maybe she wasn't a little bitch at the Oscars, I prefer by the slight bit Bette Davis, as I just love her that bit more, and also I've heard of Bette Davis's name more. I've really enjoyed writing this post, and talking about amazing women which is something you all know I love, especially Classic Hollywood. I'd love to know who you prefer, or what film you like of them, and I'll speak to you all on Friday! 



No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall