Tuesday 21 February 2017

Filmmakers Everyone Should Know

I've been wanting to do a post like this for a while now, as I do champion Actors and Actresses in lead of the film. Theres also the brains behind the operation, some of these directors are not just directors they're writers, like the majority are in a way. I got this book for Christmas its called 'A-Z Great Film Directors' and its so aesthetically pleasing and I love how its planned out with the pictures, and the fantastic artwork of the directors, and how cartoony they're drawn. 
 
 
The way they did Spielberg as Indiana Jones is something I love and makes me very happy. If you want to buy a copy of this book I highly recommend you do, one thing that does annoy me slightly about this book, but thats not the author's fault or publishing company's fault its kinda Hollywood's fault that it just so happens that there hardly any female directors in this book, but again thats a different topic altogether, which I will talk about eventually. The directors I will be talking about some are mention in the book, but some aren't so its not entirely based from this book, and there some directors I haven't even heard of until I read this book! Definitely recommend this book!
                                                         
Steven Spielberg

A director who is so awe-inspiring, I mean everyone knows atleast one of his films. I love the fact that he was 27 when he made Jaws a film that became a huge hit amongst everyone, and its so iconic everyone knows the theme music to Jaws. He made E.T which again is such a classic, and has inspired various TV Shows and Films *cough* Stranger Things *cough*. He's made films that are much more suited for the adults like Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List, and he's made films for the younger audience like E.T while still telling a story that meaningful and cinematically wonderful to watch as an audience member. 
David Lynch

This man is a strange one, I mean he make Tim Burton look boring and thats saying something. David Lynch is so weird in his approach to film and storytelling I don't find it weird anymore, I just think 'okay cool' I just love the fact that David Lynch is not only a director he's a Writer, Artist, Musician, Photographer and doesn't just do film work, he's written allot of stuff for TV aswell, like Twin Peaks. The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet are probably my favorite David Lynch films, I don't want to talk too much about it as I wanna save them for a separate review as they deserve it. Most directors usually turn up there nose at doing TV but thats what I love about David Lynch he doesn't care, he's such a fantastic storyteller who I adore.
Roberto Benigni

Roberto Benigni is a director I never really hear people talk about, and it annoys me as he is so underrated. He is an Italian Director who won an Oscar for Life is Beautiful in 1998 which was in the Foreign Films Category a Category that noone really care about. He made what I think the best Pinocchio ever, he is in some ways like an Italian Kenneth Branagh he directs his films, but at the same time is in them. I also love his personality in interviews, it shows that great directors and filmmakers in my opinion don't just come from the U.K and the U.S.A, they come from all different walks of life. 
Ridley Scott

I've spoken about this filmmaker a few times on here, I feel personally he is the King of Sc-Fi in my opinion anyway. As he did Alien a film thats just iconic, and brilliant, but also the beginning of modern Sc-Fi. He is amazing at storytelling, and devising in different genres such as Thelma and Louise, Robin Hood, and G.I Jane who are all so different from each other. He is a director that that people have preferences over like some people prefer his Sc-Fi work than his Fantasy or more Period Drama/Action, and I think its great that he can play with different genres and can be amazing at it. I love him in Actor's Roundtable on Youtube, as well. 
Kathryn Bigelow

Got to include this legendary lady in the mix, perhaps one of the most important Directors ever she is the first female director to win an Oscar, and for a War film The Hurt Locker. A film that's very serious and not fun in the slightest, but oh god its an amazing film. Not to say women can't direct serious War films, but as a woman who adores films its a stereotype that pops up quite alot, with women who love films, and women who make films just do Chick Flicks and Rom-Coms, which some women do like and thats fine each to there own, but its nice to see variety in filmmaking. Again I will do a post on Women in FIlm, but anyway Kathryn Bigelow is fantastic and not a one trick pony in making films of different genres and experimenting with stories. 


No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall