Monday 6 February 2017

Review: Carrie

I'm aware on this blog each week, its sort of related to the last Film I did a review on, but you all know how varied I am with my Film taste and that I like to shake it up, and I haven't done a review on a Stephen King film on this blog I don't think, so why not. I'm gonna be talking about the 2013 version of the film, as its totally new to me and I've championed alot of the originals of films, so I thought why not.
 I have watched the 1976 version of the story, but have not yet read the book, its about a teenager called Carrie (played by Chloe Grace Moretz) who is very shy, reclusive and has telekinesis powers her mother (played by Julianne Moore) is very religious and really disturbed. Carrie has her period for the for first time, she doesn't what it is, and is bullied and made fun for it. Then the bullies at her school are banned from attending the prom.
I've heard some pretty bad stuff about this version of the film, that it was crap and it wasn't as good as the original film, or that it didn't go by the book word for word or whatever. But I liked it, and I maybe it didn't go by the book, but I don't think I've seen a film that has actually done that, used the book as a script rather drawing inspiration from it and using it as an obvious for the story and characters. Chloe Grace Moretz was just amazing, I already love her but she completely reinvented Carrie but still keeping the original character of who she was alive.
Julianne Moore was again just fantastic, she was so psychotic and in a Stephen King antagonist thats a very important and notable quality to have. Characters of the high school bullies and students are all brilliant, Tommy played by Ansel Elgort was charming and a really sweet guy. His girlfriend Sue Snell played Gabriella Wilde is again brilliant, but the character was a little too nice, as it was prom she could've been a little more selfish about it. She gave up her boyfriend so he can take Carrie to prom instead which is nice, as she felt guilty about it also she was banned as she did pick on Carrie but I don't know any teenager who was willing to do that.
The character of Chris was allow me to put it bluntly was a bitch. Then again she was the ringleader of bullying Carrie which you need in a teen film. So she did the part fantastically, and as Carrie is a nice girl just with a crazy mum and telekinetic powers, which noone knows about in the school, pouring pigs blood on her because she didn't know it was her period was a horrific way to go about it, again she missed her prom which is the most important time for a teenager but thats good character as it made me feel something.
One thing that I loved about this film and it sets it apart from the original is the technology development, with its time. Like the video the bullies made of Carrie crying over her period that was posted over the internet, as something like that would happen in the modern world. It also made the bullies even meaner and gave more of a reason for the teachers to punish them. The effects of the film were unbelievable, the killings in the film all happen in a matter of 5 minutes or so. For me I love that as it even the balance out instead of some horrors where its just 'blood, killing, and death' everywhere. 
I mean I loved this film, did I like it more than the original? For the reasons of the actors, the effects and the modern age of technology I'd say yes, and I had much more stronger feelings for the characters. Whereas in the original film I related to them and liked them, but I guess I just hated the bullies in this one for some reason. Definitely give this film a go as, I loved it and its not as scary as some people think the real villain is the teenage girls, as Carrie's mother is so broken she snap. Even if you didn't watch the original or read the book like I did you will still like it. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall