Friday 30 September 2016

Peppermint Friday Film Review #3 Limelight

The only Chaplin Films I saw were 'Modern Times', 'The Kid' and 'Goldrush'. Didn't really see any of his films as he got abit older and wasn't the 'The Tramp' anymore, but I thought I'd give it ago as it has Chaplin and Keaton in, why not.

The film takes place in London, where you have a washed up comedian who was very successful on the vaudeville circuit, he meets this young Dancer who has just tried to commit suicide, and its just a story of him and her getting to grips with life, careers, and love. 

Its such a lovely story because I love Chaplin's simple character of it as, it wasn't the Tramp it was just a character called Calvero, who was amazingly positive and was abit upset about the fact he didn't have a proper career anymore, but he was abit more adult about it. The other main character is Terry who is a dancer, and is very pessimistic about life, and just a total downer. 

This film is very uplifting, and quite serious and deep. I love the bit where Calvero and Terry are talking and she says something like 'oh whats the point in life' and he goes 'there's always a point, its why a rock does this, and a rose does this'. I particularly love his impersonation of a Japanese Tree. 
The bits where he's performing is always very entertaining, I love the 'Performing Fleas, Phyllis and Henry' because in some ways its still the Tramp, I mean I guess its like a telling of Chaplin because he was this huge comedian and then he didn't do anything.

I love the use of his son Sydney Earl Chaplin as he was the sort of love interest where Terry liked him, but she also liked Calvero dispite the age, and Calvero wanted her to be with him. But he was amazing in that, and you can tell he didn't do it cus he was like 'Oh dad's doing a film I want to be in it' it was more like a professional actor who wanted a part in this film. 

The only strong criticism I have for this film is Claire Boom who plays Terry, I felt her character was okay but I didn't relate to her because she was just abit too winey, there wasn't any thing that was majorly positive with her, as I just felt she had to be down about things for no strong reason. But I did like the dialogue, and I can completely understand why she was the character she was, as it draw parallels to Chaplin, kinda like a see-saw effect. You don't see much of Keaton in this film, as he is in it for one scene. Which is abit of a shame, but I do like him in it.

The music and script was wonderful, and it was refreshing that a story wasn't incorporated around the Tramp or Chaplin, it was a story about life, and had a strong element of music, and theatre behind it. Overall I must say this film is just amazing, the comic timing is truly the best. The music and theatre scenes are amazing. Its also such a sweet film, its a kinda cuddly cosy film. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall