Tuesday 27 June 2017

Review: Some Like It Hot

Its been awhile since I talked about a classic and I was having a bit of a bad day and what do you do on a bad day? you watch one of your favourite films of course. It's also one of my mum and dad's favourite films and one of the first films that got me into Classic Films. 
If you don't know what this film is about I'll give you a brief synopsis as everyone has seen this film. Its about two men Joe and Jerry (played by Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon) who are Jazz Musicians and they have to get out of town so they get jobs as Jazz Musicians on tour the only problem is, that it's only female Jazz Musicians. So Joe and Jerry go undercover dressed as women called Josie and Daphne they meet Sugar who is the lead vocalist (played by Marilyn Monroe) they make friends with her and Josie/Joe falls in love with her by pretending to be a millionaire. 
It is such a funny film, I like that its been out since 1958 and yet its still funny and brilliant. I don't think I've met anyone who's said a bad word about this film, its either they love it or they haven't seen it. Its got so many memorable quotes and I mean its got Marilyn Monroe that's already an amazing film, and I've spoken about Marilyn in depth before but I always love talking about her. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are so brilliant and they bounce off each other so well, with both of them being funny and none of them being boring at the same time.
Both of them have such different personalities Joe/Josie starts off being serious and getting the job done, whereas Jerry/Daphne is taking is seriously but can't help but love being around beautiful women, Joe/Josie ends up falling in love with Sugar by pretending to be a millionaire. Jerry/Daphne pulls Osgood Fielding III (played by Joe E Brown) who is completely smitten by her and has the hilarious line in the end 'nobody's perfect'. It's great with comedy especially with duos as its always one person has to be the clown and the other has to be a little be serious the 'straight one' as we say in comedy. 
One of the things I find when watching this film is that its such a classic and I know people's comedy tastes are different and they've changed over time but you can't beat two men dressed as women that is a classic its worked for hundreds of years, and will still carry on working, its funny as its just over 2 hours but it doesn't feel like it which for me indicates that's its a good film. I should say also this film is Directed by Billy Wilder who is just a legend in the directing world if you know your film history, and he also directed Sabrina in which I did a review on. 
                                                                  
The only thing that slightly frustrated me was the end where Sugar didn't really care too much that her friend was a guy and was cat-fishing her, but hey its a film and Marilyn Monroe so i'm not gonna judge her too harshly on that. Its also a film I'd recommend to anyone who isn't into or hasn't seen Classic films, as it's a light hearted comedy with Marilyn Monroe. It's an amazing film that everyone should watch and enjoy, if you haven't already I'll speak to you all soon have a wonderful day/evening wherever you are. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall