Thursday 8 June 2017

Peppermint Friday Review #39: Wonder Woman

This review has been a long time coming, as I have been looking forward to watching this film and talking about it because oh wow. 
First of all I was abit nervous not gonna lie as DC in terms of films haven't done aswell as there TV side, and the fact that its the first time a woman led a superhero film since Catwoman which went down like a cup of cold sick, and I think after that people just went 'well noone like female superheroes' which is not the case at all. Its just that Catwoman was done so badly and people just assumed superhero films can only be successful by men which is totally ludicrous. Also the fact that its not only a superhero film being led by a woman but also, an action film being directed by a woman, for me its amazing and I'm so happy it been made. 
I love this film so so so much, oh god I fangirled pretty hard while watching this. The costumes are amazingly done its so beautiful and with such detail I love the fact that the costumes aren't ridiculously revealing but also not looking like a nun. It got Themyscira down to a T it looks so beautiful, I loved all of Diana's family aswell. Watching the film I never got a sense of it being rushed, or overdone it was just wonderful. I think fans of the character of Diana/Wonder Woman will be very impressed at what they've done to the film and the character. Gal Gadot was just amazing as Wonder Woman she gave the character a boost into the modern age at the same time remaining true to the character and what she represents.
Other characters of the film who I loved were Ares who is played by David Thewlis, and Antiope who was played by Robin Wright and they were just brilliant. One amazing thing about this film is that its the first of a big budget mainstream Wonder Woman film, so in terms of characters they can kinda reinvent a whole new character and not have the pressure of a big actor/actress towering over them, apart from Wonder Woman of course. The way they did Doctor Poison/Isabel Maru who is played by Elena Anaya was just brilliant her mouth was just weird and scary I loved it because again never really heard of her as a Villain before.
Steve Trevor who is played by Chris Pine was just fantastic, I loved the bit when he's on the boat back to England with Diana and explains what life is like on Earth and in England and the war, the whole dialogue between them is just brilliant to watch its just so funny and adorable the fact that she's this woman who doesn't know anything about men because Themyscira doesn't have any men so she's abit of an alien. The soundtrack to this is amazing aswell, particularly the song that Sia did for it, its amazing and speaks volume as to what Wonder Woman represents and is about. 
Rumour has it that they are making a sequel to this which I am excited about but also scared because I don't want it to turn into a cash cow, and make them for the sake of it and it being not very good. As a female and someone who loves film and more in particular superheros its so important and wonderful that females are represented not only in film but the behind the scenes aswell. Its such an amazing film with amazing characters that everyone should watch, I hope you all have a wonderful day/weekend and I'll see you next Friday. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall