Monday 3 July 2017

Review: An American Tail

Happy 4th of July to all my American followers, I thought we'd start July with a very American style week. We're gonna start of with talking about a film that I feel should describe Americans haven't been there in ages, but from what I've been told and hearing about the place and people, I feel its pretty accurate but correct me if I'm wrong. 
The story is about a family called the Mousekewitzs a Russian-Jewish family who live in a tiny little house in Russia until one day circumstances arise and they have to move to America. That's the holy grail, they talk about it like its this perfect all amazing place, where there's no cats or anything bad and the streets have cheese everywhere. Fievel who is the main character one of the kids gets lost on the journey from Russia to America and he makes friends with the locals, like Tony, Honest John, Bridget and many more they help him find his family along the way.
I love this story so much, the fact that its about immigration a topic that has been discussed not only in America but everywhere and for years and its been inserted into a children's animation is wonderful. As it teaches children but also adults that no matter who you meet you should try to help as much as you can, because you never go what someone may or may not be going through its also something you should just do. The art of the film is wonderful, and the music is beautiful too but the real big thing here is the story and characters.
Its so political aswell, one of the characters called Gussie Mausheimer who rallies the mice against the cats, she reminds me off Emmeline Pankhurst in a way. There's also another character called Tiger who's a cat but a nice one as he is a vegetarian apart from fish and befriends Fievel and joins the search to find his family. Its made by Universal Pictures and directed by Don Bluth who has been in competition with Disney as who's the best or not. Personally I'm a Disney gal only because I've grown up with Disney but I do have some very fond happy, nostalgic memories of Don Bluth's beautiful stories.
Don Bluth actually worked with Walt Disney on Fox and the Hound but wasn't happy with the way things were done. So he set up his own studio luckily he's quite a well connected guy and is friends with Stephen Spielberg, who helped produce it. This film was one of Don Bluth's first and one of his best its so wonderfully written and I love that its called 'Tail' and not 'Tale'. It's also so underrated, I barely hear people say how much they love this film or maybe I might not be listening either way its amazing film and people should watch. Especially adults as, in the UK and America aswell immigration has become a huge topic well its always been a huge topic and the simple matter is if someone is in need you help them regardless. 
                                                                   
I'm so happy I watched this film, as its so wonderfully made with a beautiful message to give to anyone. It just shows that films can have such an impact they're not just some fun mindless thing you can watch and forget about it. They can tell stories and change your perspective on things and also really nails what I think about immigration and how you should treat people. Overall its a wonderful story that needs to be watched and told again and again. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall