Friday 4 November 2016

Peppermint Friday Film Review #8: His Girl Friday

Now I thought it would be quite funny and entertaining for me to do a Friday review on 'His Girl Friday' as its 'Friday, Friday' you know. 
Anyway this film is about a man and woman called Walter and Hildy played by Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. They work together on this Newspaper, they were also previously married. As Hildy wants to settle down and start a family with a new husband Bruce who is totally opposite to Walter, Walter doesn't want this to happen so he gets Hildy to do a report on a murder case. 
The film is based of the 1920s play 'The Front Page'. The plot sounds very serious and quite dramatic, but this film is far from it. 

It's described as a 'Screwball Comedy' which was very popular in the 1930s and 40s. A screwball comedy is a comedy that mainly shows the relationship between a man and a woman, that the woman is just a strongwilled as the man, along with quick talking dialogue. Screwball Comedy was completely new for its time, as you had a comedy with the main characters male and female, but the female is just as strongwilled and determined to fight back and give abit of lip. Obviously now we take it for granted that we have strong female characters, but back then before these films females had a very limited role to play, but Screwball Comedy changed it.  
I love the quick, witty back and forth script of this film it turned a very serious situation into something incredibly witty and entertaining. I've said before how much I love comedy that takes things that are traditionally very serious and unfunny scenarios into something thats entertaining wonderfully witty. This film is amazing what I've noticed with this film is that it goes by really fast if that makes sense. It doesn't go on and on and on, while watching this film I notice that time just goes by. 
Cary Grant is amazing, his voice is just perfect for the part I heard every word he said, as it can be quite hard to do quick talking scenes, as the film is pretty much 99.9% quick talking with Cary Grant. All the characters are brilliant, one of my favorite scenes is where Walter is talking and pelting questions to who he thinks is Hildy's new husband, and theres a man who's tapping him on the shoulder like 'Excuse me, I'm..' and Walter's just brushing him off, then the man who Walter keeps brushing off just goes, 'I'm Hildy's husband, Bruce' then Walter just says 'oh Hildy I thought you'd marry someone older' 
I love the bickering the couple do throughout the film, even when lots of dramatic things happen, its just so much fun to watch and if I'm in a 'I don't know what to watch mood' I just stick this on, because it always brings a smile to my face. Before you ask yes, I will do a blog post completely dedicated to Cary Grant. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall