Thursday 10 November 2016

Kubrick Vs Hitchcock


We're gonna talk about two very famous and credited Directors, and this post was a long time coming. These two Directors are totally unique in there own way, but at the same time they're very much the same.



 



We'll start with there backgrounds shall we? Alfred Hitchcock was born in England, his childhood was quite an unhappy one as, he got bullied alot for his weight, and theres a story that when he was around 5 he misbehaved and his father sent him to prison with a note asking to lock him away for 5 minutes, and I guess thats why in alot of his films he has characters that are wrongly accused or have harsh punishments in.  He loved silent films, and dabbled in creative writing. Stanley Kubrick was born in New York, to a wealthy family he had an above average IQ, although he did miss school alot and loved stories and Grimm brothers, Greek and Roman Myths. 



 Both of them are born in completely different countries, at different times there films are very similar, at the same time not. Kubrick's films are very diverse, like you could easily find something for everyone. Whereas with Kubrick his films are abit more out of this world, and thats not a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or should I say controversial his films for me broke so many boundaries, I was 12 when I first watched The Shining, that was the first Stanley Kubrick film I watched, and at the time I love reading and still do but back then I got into Stephan King books, so I didn't think it was something that I couldn't watch because it was a 15 I liked it because I like the Stephan King Novels, and I thought it was a good film, never thought I wasn't technically allowed to watch it. I feel with Kubrick he can be controversial, I mean he did an adaptation of Clockwork Orange, that alone screams controversial. 


I'm not as familiar with Hitchcock's work, his work is amazing for what it was at the time and still even now, many filmmakers who create anything with suspense and horror to it that includes Kubrick. His films back then were seen as weird, and just terrifying, now they are but just with all the suspense of films now and ten years ago its all different now, but still amazing. The Birds is the one film I will never forget, it's so spell bounding and sinister I loved it, it just completely resonated with me. Again I never thought that I wasn't necessarily allowed to watch it, because of the age ratings, and I've always been like that. But I mean really who's gonna arrest or fine someone because they're watching a Kubrick or Hitchcock film.

 
 But I mean again I say this with every post, but I don't think theres much of a competition, just preference really. Either way both of these men create brilliant stories to show, and they're remembered, but I just prefer Stanley Kubrick, because not gonna lie when I found out that I wasn't allowed to technically watch it cus of the age rating, I just thought to myself 'I'll watch some more..' Despite the rebellious 12 year old me breaking the law, cus I watched a film. I love the vision it provided from the books I read a voice, and I got to watch characters from what I imagined they should be on screen, and sometimes its disappointing but sometimes its fun to watch. But thats why we watch films, its storytelling and emotions and feelings, and everything.

No comments

Post a Comment

© .
Maira Gall